Over the years winter storms and cyclones have produced some novelty waves at the normally placid Eagle Bay in Dunsborough.
Brief History Eagle Bay
The Bay was first named by the French (Baudin) on 1801. It was named “Anse Depuch” which means Depuch’s cove or creek. Depuch was a geologist on Baudin’s expedition.
Then in 1830 Governor Stirling and John Septimus Roe (the first surveyor General of WA) visited the area in search of land suitable for settlement, they anchored in Eagle Bay and named the location after their 108 ton schooner ‘Eagle’.
American whalers frequented the Geographe Bay coast regularly, using the sheltered waters for repairs and replenishment. There were many hundreds of these ships whaling off the coast of Geographe Bay during the 1830s.
Many of the streets in Eagle Bay are named after local shipwrecks. The Carnarvon Castle caught fire off Cape Naturaliste in 1907. The Ella Gladstone was lost at Quindalup in 1878. Day Dawn was wrecked at Quindalup in 1886. Source: SW Historians Claire Guiness and Ian Wiese.
This is a collection of Eagle Bay beach images from 2009 to 2014.
Photo: 2009 Tow-in action at Eagle Bay east end. Jim King pic.
Photo: 2011 Unidentified surfer Eagle Bay. Jim King pic.
Photo: 2011 Kids doing tow-ins at Eagle Bay. Jim King pic.
Photo: 2012 Margaret River maestro Tony Hardy at Eagle Bay. Bruce King pic.
Photo: 2012 Rainbow over Eagle Bay. Jim King pic.
Photo: 2013 Ry Myers aerial at Eagle Bay. Jim King pic.
Photo: 2013 Unidentified girl surfing Eagle bay. Jim King pic.
Photo: 2014 Placid Eagle Bay. Jim King pic.